lvm non-zero exit code

Piotr Kandziora raveenpl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:19:32 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

I have problem with my automatic instalation via network using FAI
3.4.5 on Debian Squeeze.
If disk has LVM data from previous instalataion - then this
installation fails as you can see in logs below.
I know that in my case I can use pvremove command with -ff parameter
and then begin whole installation from the beginning - and it works.
I wonder if there is any way to avoid using pvremove command. Any help
welcome, thanks!

Starting setup-storage 1.3
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/NODE
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit B print free
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
    Finding all volume groups
  No volume groups found
Executing: mdadm --examine --scan --verbose -c partitions
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary "ext3" 32256B 98703359B
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary "" 98703360B 10733990399B
Executing: mkfs.ext4  /dev/sda1
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda set 2 lvm on
Executing: pvcreate  /dev/sda2
Command had non-zero exit code
Error in task partition. Traceback: task_error task_partition task
task_install task task_action task main
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.

Best regards
Piotr Kandziora