Timing issue with scripts (GRUB/10-setup runs last)

Allison, Brad ballison at alertsite.com
Wed Dec 29 17:03:26 CET 2010

I want to install a menu.lst for my CLASS of systems that is different than
the default.

I tried creating a MYCLASS/53-install_grub script that tried to copy my
menu.lst to /target/boot/grub/menu.lst but it fails because the directory
/target/boot/grub has not been created yet at the time the script runs.  The
directory does not get created until GRUB/10-setup runs.

I did a "watch find /target/boot" while the system was imaging and I see
that no /target/boot/grub is created when I my script runs.  I found where
"grub-install" is finally getting called and it's in
"/srv/fai/config/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/postinst" which i presume is
getting called from the GRUB/10-setup script's fcopy?

I also see that GRUB/10-setup runs last.  Which is AFTER my all my scripts
in my class.  So it would overwrite my menu.lst anyhow.

1- How do I get my INSITE/53-insite_grub script to run last? I tried moving
it to INSITE/99-insite_grub and that did not work.  GRUB/10-setup still went
last, AND there was no /target/boot/grub when my script ran.  Grub is
installed, but there's no grub directory because grub-install had not run
yet at the time the script runs.

2- Is there a different way to just install a "menu.lst" that's unique to my
class?  I see a menu.lst/GRUB in the files directory and tried creating a
menu.lst/INSITE for my class but that didn't work.  Neither are actually
getting installed.

3- my script INSITE/53-install_grub creates a /target/boot/grub/menu.lst and
I see that when the GRUB/10-setup script runs it moves my menu.lst to
menu.lst.pre_fcopy.

Can someone please instruct me on how to install my own menu.lst for this
special class of servers?

-b

--
Brad Allison