TEST: fai & libeatmydata

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Dec 21 16:05:13 CET 2010

    > On our standard-issue workstation with our standard software package
    > (complete GNOME + KDE + a selection of scientific packages) [1], using
    > libeatmydata for the instsoft task led to a 50% reduction of the
    > deployment time.
    > We went from 45 minutes down to somewhere around 22-25 minutes.
Hi folks,

I also did some tests with eatmydata. This really improves the
installation time if you use dpkg 1.15.8.5. If you use dpkg 1.15.8.7
from unstable using eatmydata does not help, since the installation time is
already fine. On my machine the installation time of 4.2GB of software
on an ext4 file on three disks in a software RAID0 system are:

Using dpkg 1.15.8.7 and eatmydata      246s.
Using dpkg 1.15.8.7 without eatmydata  248s.

Using dpkg 1.15.8.5 and eatmydata      251s.
Using dpkg 1.15.8.5 without eatmydata  391s.

So using dpkg 1.15.8.7 is prefered and I hope it will make it into squeeze.

P.S.: The machine has 48GB RAM and is a dual CPU hexa-core machine.