TEST: fai & libeatmydata
lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Dec 21 16:05:13 CET 2010
>>>>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:13:33 +0100, Julien BLACHE <jblache at debian.org> said:
> On our standard-issue workstation with our standard software package
> (complete GNOME + KDE + a selection of scientific packages) , using
> libeatmydata for the instsoft task led to a 50% reduction of the
> deployment time.
> We went from 45 minutes down to somewhere around 22-25 minutes.
I also did some tests with eatmydata. This really improves the
installation time if you use dpkg 126.96.36.199. If you use dpkg 188.8.131.52
from unstable using eatmydata does not help, since the installation time is
already fine. On my machine the installation time of 4.2GB of software
on an ext4 file on three disks in a software RAID0 system are:
Using dpkg 184.108.40.206 and eatmydata 246s.
Using dpkg 220.127.116.11 without eatmydata 248s.
Using dpkg 18.104.22.168 and eatmydata 251s.
Using dpkg 22.214.171.124 without eatmydata 391s.
So using dpkg 126.96.36.199 is prefered and I hope it will make it into squeeze.
P.S.: The machine has 48GB RAM and is a dual CPU hexa-core machine.
More information about the linux-fai