console redirect

Shadow Roldan sroldan at iwin.com
Tue Dec 14 21:56:09 CET 2010

Hello!

On Lucid Ubuntu 10.04
Running: FAI 3.4.2ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1

I have my FAI setup fully functional with menu driven hostnames, ip assignment, and full automation. Yay! This works *great* for my virtual images where I can simply bring up the "kvm" console and watch them go and provide inputs.

For my physical servers I must redirect all output to ttys0 at 9600/8/n/1. As of now, I lose console redirect during the FAI process and so cannot provide inputs for hostname/ip. Very frustrating!

I have:

1.) added  "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9" to the append  line in /srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/default so it reads as follows;

# generated by fai-chboot for host default with IP no IP
default fai-generated

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic
append initrd=initrd.img-2.6.32-26-generic ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot boot=live  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,reboot FAI_ACTION=install console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9

2.) in my /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/ I set up /etc/init/ttyS0.conf as follows:

# ttyS0 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on ttyS0 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
exec /sbin/getty -L 9600 ttyS0 vt102

---

Unfortunately, i'm missing something as I stated above, I lose console as soon as the kernel is picked up by tftp and the process begins.

If anyone can lend insights into this issue I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

Shadow Roldan
iWin, Inc.
sroldan at iwin.com