setup-storage fails when preserving LVM volume

Nicolas Courtel courtel at cena.fr
Wed Dec 8 17:29:05 CET 2010

Hello,

When installing in Squeeze a host which was in Lenny, I want to preserve
user data, using a setup-storage config that has worked with an older
version of FAI (well, I'm not so sure, let's say it might have work some
day...); the result is the same with 3.4.4, 3.4.5, and 4.0experimental45 :

disk_config disk1
primary        /boot         512    ext3    rw
primary        -           32000-    -    -

disk_config lvm fstabkey:uuid preserve_lazy:vg0-local
vg vg0 disk1.2
vg0-swap    swap            2GiB    swap    sw
vg0-root    /               1GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-var     /var            4GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-usr     /usr            8GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-opt     /opt            2GiB    ext3    rw
vg0-local   /local         20GiB    ext3    rw

On an empty disk, this disk config works fine. But when the volumes
already exist, it does preserve vg0-local as expected, but after having
correctly built all the volumes setup-storage tries to set a label on
the disk; it fails miserably, and removes all the disk's partitions .
There are a couple of other errors in the debug log, too, that might be
related to the problem:

[...]
Use of uninitialized value $p in concatenation (.) or string at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Init.pm line 289.
/dev/sda2 will be preserved
vg0/local will be preserved
[...]
(CMD) parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos 1> /tmp/A_p3dpsLFC 2> /tmp/ZQLJLH5omp
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
Command had non-zero exit code
(STDOUT) Error: Partition(s) 2 on /dev/sda have been written, but we
have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because
it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in
use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

I have tried to replace disk1 by sda, preserve_lazy by
preserve_reinstall, but the result is always the same.

The full log is there: http://paste.debian.net/101879/

--
Nicolas