Diagnostics from setup-storage

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Wed Dec 8 15:58:21 CET 2010

Hello!

I tried installation of a multi-disk host with the latest experimental
(version 45). With correct disk configuration file, everything works as
expected. My thanks to Michael and everyone else for great work!

However, before I got to the error-free state, I went through several
incorrect ones and noticed that the diagnostics provided by
setup-storage were not too helpful, and in one case, outright wrong.

First, the final (correct) disk configuration file:

------------------------------- snip ---------------------------------
disk_config hda bootable:1
logical  /       1GiB   ext3  rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro   createopts="-c -j"
logical  /var   10GiB   ext3  rw,relatime                     createopts="-m 5 -j"
logical  /tmp    1GiB   ext3  rw                              createopts="-m 0 -j"
logical  /usr   10GiB   ext3  rw,relatime                     createopts="-j"
primary  swap    2GiB   swap  sw
primary  /home  10GiB   ext3  rw,relatime,nosuid,nodev        createopts="-m 1 -j"
primary  /wrk   10GiB-  ext3  rw,relatime,nosuid,nodev        createopts="-m 1 -j"

disk_config sda preserve_always:all
primary /storage   100% ext3  rw,relatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec

disk_config sdb preserve_always:all
primary /st_backup 100% ext3  rw,relatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec
------------------------------- snip ---------------------------------

Next, the two errors I made initally and the provided diagnostics:

First, I had an unnecessary space between "rw," and "relatime" in the
sda and sdb layouts, like this:
primary /storage   100% ext3  rw, relatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec

The only diagnostic provided by setup-storage was "Syntax error". I
would have expected at least a line number, and possibly the column,
where the parser hit the error. Without that, the error was not trivial
to locate.

Second, in my inital version I had duplicate configuration for disk sda
(ie the /st_backup disk was also called "sda"):
disk_config sda preserve_always:all
primary /st_backup 100% ext3  rw,relatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec

The diagnostic from setup-storage was:
Use of uninitialized value $1 in subtraction (-) at /usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Parser.pm line 130, <$config_file> line 1.
Duplicate configuration for disk sdb

I see two issues here:
1) the first error is a perl message, not a setup-storage message
2) it complains about sdb being duplicate, while in reality it is sda.
With more complicated multi-disk systems this can be quite confusing.

Best wishes,

Toomas Tamm