10-setup in GRUB_PC does not work for software raid 4.0~beta2+experimental41

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Dec 3 23:27:04 CET 2010

Hi David,

> The 10-setup in GRUB_PC as provided with 4.0~beta2+experimental41 does not seem to work for software raid. I managed to make it work after a fashion, but not elegantly so, as you'll see.

[...]

Thanks a lot for providing a very detailed analysis and description of your
bugfix. Could you please give 4.0~beta2+experimental43 another try? That is,
you'd need to take the modified 10-setup script from the new experimental build
and please make sure you upgrade your NFSROOT such that the setup-storage
version from experimental43 is used.

As far as I understand the problem was that setup-storage tried to be clever and
resolve something like md0 to the underlying disk devices. As grub nowadays
properly deals with SW RAID, this isn't applicable anymore.

Could you please give this new version another try and report back further
problems or (hopefully!) success?

Thanks a lot,