First beta of FAI 4 available

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Sat Aug 7 23:17:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've just created the first beta version of FAI 4 - version
4.0~beta0. It's meant to include brand new features, so it will NOT
make it into the Debian squeeze release.

Currently this version is only tested with lenny.
More changes will be added to this version before the final 4.0
release, so you don't want to use this in production environment yet.
Instead you will like to use FAI 3.4 in production environment (see
Mika's mail).

I've added a script which will set up a test environment using
VirtualBox which includes some documentation how to do it.
Have a look at
/usr/share/doc/fai-doc/examples/utils/setup-fai-test-environment

Known issues with 4.0~beta0 when using with squeeze:
 - make-fai-nfsroot will not generate the initrd when using squeeze
   and mdadm until 3.1.X There's a fix for mdadm which will hopefully
   included in version >= 3.1.2 (#589836)

Please report any bugs to the Debian bug tracking system (BTS) or to
the mailing list linux-fai-devel. Reports of successfull tests are
also welcome.

I will be offline until the beginning of September, so do not expect
any response or fixes in the following weeks. Instead, please consult
the mailing list.

You will get the 4.0~beta version if you add this line to your
sources.list:

deb http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download fai4 koeln

Thanks to Mika for all discussions and helping me to sort out some
problems.