setup-storage + grub2

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Apr 21 10:27:56 CEST 2010

> Hi,
> Michael Tautschnig wrote,
>
> > No, using the underlying partitions doesn't really make sense, that would
> > destroy LVM volume integrity. But according to some online docs it's pretty
> > simple: Just strip off the /dev/mapper/ part.
> >
> > I've updated the scripts in 3.4~beta1+experimental8; could you retry to see
> > whether this finally works? It would be really cool if we finally had proper
> > support for LVM/grub in FAI 3.4 ...
>
> Does not work. Tested with experimental11:

[...]

Could you try the attached scripts/GRUB_PC/10-setup, which is *a lot* simpler?
AFAIK grub-install takes care of a lot of things and just takes a device name as
argument, if you omit the parentheses!? It could be necessary to re-add the
grub-mkimage, if update-grub chokes on that one.

One possible issue remains: Which version of grub-pc are you using? It seems
that versions before 1.97 are broken regarding LVM.

Thanks a lot,