setup-storage + grub2

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Apr 15 15:46:41 CEST 2010

[...]

> > From some earlier post I gathered that biosdisk part_msdos ext2 were
> > auto-detected anyway and not necessary. Could somebody check whether they are
> > necessary are not?
>
> I checked again, they are really necessary. At least for
> Ubuntu/Lucid with with grub 1.98. Without them I only get the grub
> rescue console.

Ok.

[...]

> > > @Michael: I think we need some tweaking here. device2grub does not
> > > work correctly for LVM boot support for me. The method in svn trunk
> > > does work correctly for simple boot via primary partition.
> > >

> > Could somebody send me their /boot/grub/device.map with LVM? As far as I
> > understand device2grub just parses this file, so probably it just requires a bit
> > of tweaking.
>
> device.map looks like usual:
> (hd0)   /dev/sda
>
> ..
> for device in $BOOT_DEVICE; do
>   grub_dev=$(device2grub $device)
>   if [ -z "$grub_dev" ] ; then
>     grub_dev=$(echo $device | sed 's#^/dev/##')
>   fi
>
> BOOT_DEVICE is in case of LVM usage: /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-rootlv.
> Which does not match with this regular expression used in
> device2grub:
> $device=~ m#^(/dev/(?:[shv]d\D|i2o/hd\D|ida/c\d*d\d*|cciss/c\d*d\d*))p*(\d*)$#
>
> And if $grub_dev is empty, then "mapper/VolGroup00-rootlv" is also
> wrong. We would need to add some code to parse pvdisplay to get the
> real device node used by the VolumeGroup, where the RootLV is
> created on.

No, using the underlying partitions doesn't really make sense, that would
destroy LVM volume integrity. But according to some online docs it's pretty
simple: Just strip off the /dev/mapper/ part.

I've updated the scripts in 3.4~beta1+experimental8; could you retry to see
whether this finally works? It would be really cool if we finally had proper
support for LVM/grub in FAI 3.4 ...

> Just as a site note, I think it does not match Xen para virt block
> devices. (.f.e xvda)

I don't really think this is necessary as usually one doesn't have a bootloader
*inside* Xen instances, or am I wrong?

Best,