Still puzzled by setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Apr 13 11:50:13 CEST 2010

> >Ok, this will need some more experimental work I'm afraid. Could you try to do
> >some manual steps and report back before we actually build this into
> >setup-storage?
> >
> >On that particular host, I'd like to know how
> >
> >parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
> >parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 512B 536871423B
> >parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary  536871424B 80026361855B
> >parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
> >mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1
> >parted -s /dev/sda set 2 lvm on
> >vgchange -a y vg0
> >
> >behaves in comparison to
> >
> >vgchange -a n vg0
> >parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
> >parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 512B 536871423B
> >parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary  536871424B 80026361855B
> >parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
> >mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1
> >parted -s /dev/sda set 2 lvm on
> >vgchange -a y vg0
>
> Apart from the extra output line, I can see no difference : in both
> cases, the LVM volumes are back and active after the last vgchange.
> Here's the full output of the second command list.

[...]

Could you maybe do an explicit vgchange -a y vg0 beforehand? Somehow it should
be possible to reprocduce the error that parted reports when doing, e.g., the
second mkpart. That error was

Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sda2 --
Device or resource busy.

in http://paste.debian.net/67978/.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Best,