Still puzzled by setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Apr 13 10:32:07 CEST 2010

> >>Looks like I'm the first one again :-) . It works as expected on a
> >>partitionless disk, but fails if the LVM volume already exists (I
> >>just tried to install again the same host) : although setup-storage
> >>claims that '(volume) will be preserved', it runs parted to create
> >>the volume group.
> >>
> >>Debug log is at http://paste.debian.net/65875/.
> >>

> >Unfortunately, I was too busy recently and didn't manage to fix it quick enough:
> >The paste has timed out/is lost. Nicolas, could you do another try and paste the
> >logs again?
> >
> Sure, I've sent the same log again on http://paste.debian.net/67978/

Ok, this will need some more experimental work I'm afraid. Could you try to do
some manual steps and report back before we actually build this into
setup-storage?

On that particular host, I'd like to know how

parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 512B 536871423B
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary  536871424B 80026361855B
parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1
parted -s /dev/sda set 2 lvm on
vgchange -a y vg0

behaves in comparison to

vgchange -a n vg0
parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 512B 536871423B
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary  536871424B 80026361855B
parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1
parted -s /dev/sda set 2 lvm on
vgchange -a y vg0