Debconf console-setup fails in Ubuntu Lucid

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Apr 8 09:38:32 CEST 2010

> Hi again!
>
> I have a problem setting the console-setup data to the correct values via debconf.
>
> On row 85 i fai.log, task_debconf is called and sets all values as according to the file
> in debconf/LANG_SWEDISH. (I guess, at least)

Check back with your fai.log, I think it should tell (or attach fai.log).

> Then on row 190 fai fetches package console-setup and on row 341 it replaces and
> unpacks the package. Then on row 461 it says "Setting up console-setup (1.34 ...)
>
> Then on row 496: '$::Options::="--force-confold" install apt apt-utils cfengine2 console-setup ...'
>
> I have some locales settings in the same debconf-file and they get set as intended,
> setting the locale to sv_SE.UTF-8 and all is well.
>
> The debconf-data for console-setup, however, seems to fall back to default settings (us, Uni1, USA)
> instead of (se, Lat15, SWEDEN).
>
> Any ideas what might go wrong? I didn't attach the files with the data since they're on a
> virtual machine inaccessible to me right now, but if you require them, i'll give it a shot.

I don't know for sure about the console-* stuff in Ubuntu (Lucid), but most
likely there is something wrong in your debconf/LANG_SWEDISH file. debconf is
pretty picky about spacing and at which points you use tabs/spaces I think. For
one thing, attaching debconf/LANG_SWEDISH could aid us in helping you debug
this; on the other hand, it would be useful if you could check the debconf
setting in the running client (using debconf-get-selections and grep) and see
whether they match what you specified in LANG_SWEDISH.

Best,