I want to set up a cluster using FAI

Axel Freyn axel-freyn at gmx.de
Wed Sep 23 13:48:43 CEST 2009

Hi Alind,
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:39:39PM +0530, alind sharma wrote:
> Hi Axel,
> Thanks for the immediate reply. I can imagine not having slave-1  installed.
> So how to go for automatic installation to all 15 slaves from master. I have
> installed fai-server and fai-quickstart on master.  I have infiniband on the
> slave-master network. I have copied the /etc/apt/sources.list to
> /etc/fai/apt/sources.list
> What to do next.
Look at http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide/ch-impatient.html

- you need to run "fai-setup -v" in order to create the
  Debian-installation which will be used during the installation process
  on the clients. It will be stored by default in /srv/fai/nfsroot, I
  think
- you have to create the fai-configuration in /srv/fai/config. As a
  first start, you can use e.g.
  "cp -a /usr/share/doc/fai-doc/examples/simple/* /srv/fai/config/"
- Now I don't know infiniband - is it possible to boot over infiniband?
  Analogous to pxe-boot on ethernet? If yes, you can configure your
  master in a way, that the clients can boot by infiniband. (for
  ethernet, that's the steps:
  - installing and configuring the dhcp-Server
  - installing a TFTP-Server, from which the clients get a kernel and an
    initial ramdisk
  If you can't (or won't boot over infinband), you have to configure
  another way how to boot the clients - e.g. by a bootable CD (see
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide/ch-booting.html#s-cdboot)

> My fai config file is as follows:
>
> LOGUSER=fai
> FAI_LOGPROTO=ssh
> FAI_CONFIGDIR=/srv/fai/config
> MNTPOINT=/media/mirror
> FAI=/var/lib/fai/config
>
> I have removed the commented entries for the sack of clarity. Is it required
> to make a mirror. Cant it access from the sources.list entries directly.
No, it's not necessary to create a mirror. The complete FAI-Installation
uses "normal" apt-get, so you can use all sources.list which are
normally supported by Debian.

HTH,

Axel