I want to set up a cluster using FAI

alind sharma alindsharma at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:29:51 CEST 2009

Hi Everybody.
This is my first mail to fai mailing list.
I want to setup a cluster using FAI.

   - I have install debian (squeeze) on master node and same on a slave
   node.
   -  We have a local debian repository using loop-mounted debian images on
   another machine. Lets name it as deb_repo_machine.
   - The master node is directly connected using ethernet card to
   deb_repo_machine (master ip : 196.20.1.12, deb_repo_machine ip =
   196.20.1.3).
   - The master has infiniband network and is connected to another 16 slave
   machines using infiniband network.
   - I have configured the slave node 1 (master infiniband ip : 196.168.1.1
   slave_1 infiniband ip : 196.168.1.2) such as it can directly ping and update
   from deb_repo_machine.
   - Master's home is nfs mounted as home on slave-1.
   - NIS server is established on master for user accounts and groups.

I want to use FAI so that I can replicate the configuration of slave-1 on
each other slave nodes (15 more on number, total 16 slave nodes I have). I
want to use the same sources.list file that is available in salve-1 (which
is basically same as master's sources.list).
I have installed fai-server, fai-doc . I am unable to  understand the fai
guide available in debian repo. What to do next.
Kindly guide me.

--
Alind Sharma
Scientist 'C'