How to edit grub menu (menu.lst) properly?

Michael Goetze mgoetze at mgoetze.net
Wed Sep 9 15:30:11 CEST 2009

Hi Alexey,

> 1) to execute in instsoft.GRUB hook the commands:
> fcopy /boot/grub/menu.lst
> $ROOTCMD update-initramfs -k all -u
> $ROOTCMD update-grub
> (This provides that menu.lst exists and is configured.)

No - as you see from your error log, these commands don't exist yet in
the chroot environment. You need to run them after the corresponding
packages have been installed, of course.

> 2) to remove file faiconfig/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/postinst to GRUB
> script's directory and to comment
>  grub update command in it.
> (This will install grub but not change menu.lst)

Sure, you just need to run grub-install at some point.

What I don't understand is why you have a package which modifies
menu.lst but doesn't provide it if one doesn't exist, but oh well...

Regards,