mysql-server installed by FAI?

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Sep 9 13:19:50 CEST 2009

> Is there anyone around who has gathered some experience installing mysql
> server within FAI? Apparently, the _existing_ debconf template
> "start_on_boot" isn't obeyed, and I'm running into trouble with the
> setting for the root password.
> I'd appreciate if you'd be willing to share your ideas.

Sorry for the very late response, I'm just trying to catch up; we do install
mysql servers using FAI, but our setup is pretty simple, to be honest. All we do
is:

- We have files/etc/mysql/debian.cnf/DB (with DB being the class used for the
  mysql servers) to fix Debian admin passwords
- An additional script that is meant to be run upon the first is install which
  sets the root password simply using $ROOTCMD mysqladmin -u root password XXX
  and loads some data, sets privileges, prepares replication etc. using SQL
  commands.

HTH,