Fai on Ubuntu 9.10 status?

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Sun Sep 6 20:12:35 CEST 2009

Hi again!

Henning Sprang wrote:
> With the removal decision FAI gives away the potential for larger
> adoption - despite it is perfectly useable for config management on many
> distributions - even when installation functionality does not work (and
> even therefore there was a good workaround documented by you!).
[...]
> I just feel a bit sad when we have to send people away...

Just a silly question: When it is possible to get FAI working with
Ubuntu 9.04 (both on the server and the client side of things) using a
long long howto on the wiki, wouldn't it be possible to automate this
with a dedicated script and ship this script with FAI?

I mean, FAI could use the stock method of creating the NFSroot as
before. But for Ubuntu one could implement a switch to use the bit of
hackery that I described in the howto? It's all commandline action, so
it should be fully scriptable, right?

Let me tell you about a little test environment I've running here:
The only thing I have to do manually to build up a whole infrastructure
is to do a stock installation of Ubuntu 9.04 Server, install cfengine3,
copy over all my cfengine scripts and run them. They do not only build
the whole server environment (DHCP, DNS, TFTP etc etc.), but also
automagically prepare FAI - fully automatic! The only thing I have to do
by hand is create the certificates for VPN et al and other small things
that just have to be done manually.
Okay, I admit - to save time I'm using a pre-built base.tgz for Ubuntu
9.04, but even that could be created automatically by scripts!

Cheers,
Robert