Fai on Ubuntu 9.10 status?

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Sun Sep 6 17:56:27 CEST 2009

Hi Henning,

Henning Sprang wrote:
> It's not very helpful to the cause of spreading FAI usage to send
> them another way if FAI can do the same - in many aspects better, and by
> far mnore flexible, because it can incorporate all the other tools and
> programming language you like.

Well, I'm not an evangelist of any specific software or platform. Any
software is just a tool to get work done, and I like good tools, that's
why I like FAI - because it is one of those proven, reliable tools that
tremendously speeds up my work and simplifies many things.

As I see it this discussion is happening at two fronts: first the
political front if it was right to remove FAI from the Ubuntu
repositories (I'm affected by this as well) and how to deal with the
situation in the future.

The other front is to help Per and others to get their systems running
in a way that they can maintain his clients _now_, not at some
unspecified point in the future when the 'Fai on Ubuntu' issues are
resolved. Idealogies aside, there are even examples of cfengine scripts
in FAI, so why not use it if it helps people? Deployed wisely, these
both work perfectly hand in hand together.

Cheers,
Robert