Fai on Ubuntu 9.10 status?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Sep 4 16:57:18 CEST 2009

    > Our setup depends heavily on softupdate, and we're in the process of
    > switching from Debian to Ubuntu on desktop, so this sounds like bad news.
I can only care about FAI in Debian. In the past Ubuntu often changed
things that broke FAI. So I myself will not switch to Ubuntu. But you could
make a lot of people happy by helping care about the FAI packages in
Ubuntu.

    > But (as far as I know) fai only consists of shell, perl and cfengine
    > scripts, so I suppose we can use the lenny version from the fai repository?
"It's not done until tested".

I also would guess that using FAI packages from lenny (or more recent
ones from my repository) for softupdates should work, but you never
know what Ubuntu has changed and what may brake things in FAI.