Problem with Intel igb network driver on client

Christian Quast wildcart at tzi.org
Tue Sep 1 13:57:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

I faced the same problem yesterday and solved it by taking the kernel of
debian testing.

I took the kernel deb file and the corresponding aufs-modules deb (not sure if
this was needed) and installed it in the nfsroot (mount proc, dev, sys,...;
chroot ...). I then copied the kernel and initrd files from $NFSROOT/boot
to /srv/tftp/fai and updated the pxe boot configs.

We also have our own debian ubuntu repositories where we added some deb files
and now a custom vanilla kernel that is installed by the fai-clients, so that
the installed system can boot with network support.

BTW. we had a lot of 'SOFT LOCKUP' problems with kernel versions < 2.6.28, on
SuperMicro systems, caused by multi-threaded programms (especially on recent
Opterons but also on recent Nehalem Xeons).

So far everything works fine for us.
  Chriss