Problem with Intel igb network driver on client

Gordon Grubert grubert at physik.uni-greifswald.de
Tue Sep 1 13:44:52 CEST 2009

Thomas Lange wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 07:49:22 +0200, Gordon Grubert <grubert at physik.uni-greifswald.de> said:
>
>     > Supermicro X8DTU. Sorry, but I could not find the exact
>     > network chipset description. On the server everything is
>     > running fine.
> Run lspci (maybe from a live CD like grml) and you should see which
> network card this is.
lspci tells:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 10c9 (rev 01)

> Yes, in my initrd the igb driver is also available. It seems to be
> available by default.
I've rebuild the initrd like Carsten mentioned:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64
grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
Adding module /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/igb/igb.ko

Are the grep messages normal? I got the tip, that the initrd
has to contain a modules.pcimap file listing the igb driver.
The initrd does not contain this index file created by depmod.

>     > Booting the client, the PXE boot process begins, the
>     > initrd is loaded followed by:
>
>     > Monting root file system ... ...
>     > Uniform multi-platform E-ide-driver
>     > ... ide0 ...
>     > ... ide1 ...
>     > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!
> Mmm, did you spacify boot-live in your pxelinux/cfg config file?
Jupp:
append initrd=initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64 ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs \
       nfsroot=/var/fai/nfsroot boot=live \
       FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,reboot FAI_ACTION=install

>     > I do not know, why the igb driver is obviously not found.
>     > IMHO, the testing of the ide modules (to find the root file
>     > system) is caused by the file (inside the nfsroot)
> Why should IDE modules be needed when trying to mount the nfsroot? Do
> you boot from network or from CD?
I'm booting from network. But I'm a little bit confused because there
is the message to boot the root file system followed by an ide output
before the kernel panic occurs.

Best regards,
Gordon