Problem with Intel igb network driver on client

Gordon Grubert grubert at physik.uni-greifswald.de
Tue Sep 1 07:49:22 CEST 2009

Hello,

we are running Debian Lenny with FAI without any problems.
Now, we got a new cluster client with a new Intel network
chipset which is not supported by Lenny. Therefore, the
igb driver has to be compiled manually.

The motherbord of the client (and the FAI server) is a
Supermicro X8DTU. Sorry, but I could not find the exact
network chipset description. On the server everything is
running fine.

In the nfsroot, the module igb.ko is present. Probably, it
was copied by make-fai-nfsroot from the server (same
architecture, kernel etc. on the server and the new client).
Inside the nfsroot, the module is listed in the file
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hook-functions in the
function auto_add_modules(), too.

Booting the client, the PXE boot process begins, the
initrd is loaded followed by:

Monting root file system ... ...
Uniform multi-platform E-ide-driver
... ide0 ...
... ide1 ...
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!

I do not know, why the igb driver is obviously not found.
IMHO, the testing of the ide modules (to find the root file
system) is caused by the file (inside the nfsroot)
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live-premount/modules
which contains:
modprobe -q ide-generic
modprobe -q esp

I've tried to add the igb module here, but nothing happened.
Has the initrd to be rebuild?

Thanks in advance,
Gordon
--
Compilerwarnungen von heute sind die Programmierfehler von morgen.
(Quelle unbekannt)