initramfs on experimental fai-cd

James S. White whitejs at jameswhite.org
Tue Oct 27 19:56:54 CET 2009

I am trying to make a custom fai-cd using the experimental builds.

Basically I booted a virtual machine from the gnomehost template using the ISO:
  http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-cd/fai-cd-3.2.16.iso

and then updated it to 3.2.23~beta25+experimental1, and then ran fai-setup,
  fai-mirror, and fai-cd, rsynced the 3.2.16 configs into /srv/fai/config
  first. (specifics: http://gist.github.com/219822 )

so basically I have 4 environments I'm using to bootstrap the target system
(well, 3 since my workstation is just a host)

workstation

  +-> gnomehost

       +-> fai-cd (installer/livecd)

            +-> target-system(chrooted during install)

If I partition with LVM, (the simple-lvm example from the fai wiki) and let
the installer run update-initramfs from the chrooted-install, it results in an
initrd that will time out waiting for the Root FS (even if I generate it
from another tty after the install, and first add dm-mod to
/target/etc/initramfs/modules )

If I try to create one from the installer (livecd) environment, I get:
    "update-initramfs is disabled since running in a livecd"

If I create an initrd in the gnomehost environment using:
  TARGETVERSION=$(ls /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/lib/modules)
  chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir                \
    /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs                                    \
    -o /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/initrd.img-${TARGETVERSION} \
    ${TARGETVERSION}

And cp it from /boot /target/boot, at install time (overwriting the one the
installer created) the system boots fine.

un-packing the initrds shows some signifigant differences:
   (specifics: http://gist.github.com/219803 )

So my question is:

"Is there a trick to getting the chrooted target envronment to create a
workable initrd that I am missing, or am I going to have to create the initrds
out-of-band and copy them to /target with a script every time?"