LVM on crypt

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sun Oct 25 13:26:00 CET 2009

> Where would the :encrypt go in this recipe if I wanted to encrypt the partition
> before laying down a volume group?
>
> # Simple LVM example
> disk_config sda  bootable:1
> primary /boot 500 ext3 rw
> primary -       4096-   -       -
>
> disk_config lvm
> vg my_pv        sda2
> my_pv-_swap     swap    2048    swap    sw
> my_pv-_root     /       2048    ext3 rw

I think it should work ("should", because the crypto stuff is still somewhat
untested) if you change the sda2 definition to

primary  -:encrypt  4096-   -    -

This is only true, however, for the experimental builds; please see
http://faiwiki.debian.net/index.php/Main_Page#getting_FAI for more information.
The crypto-patch will probably still be kept in there for another release or so
to receive more testing. As such, any kind of feedback is most welcome!

Best,