Does setup-storage support lazyformat yet?

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Oct 15 09:41:48 CEST 2009

>     > http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Setup-storage
> Not sure, but man setup-storage should be up to date.

It is still to-be-done. Thinking about it once again, however, I'd prefer not to
implement it at all because of its somewhat unclear semantics: The partition
will not be formatted if it hasn't moved. Whether a partition moves or not is
not fully under control of the user, this may depend on several other
circumstances as well. Instead, I suggest people use preserve_reinstall (see man
page), which gives full control to the user via initial in FAI_FLAGS. Another
option is adding :resize to the partition size specificiation, which gives
setup-storage the flexibility to move or resize the partition, if necessary, but
will preserve the data as well.  This will only work, however, if the partition
already exists.

Best,