Mixed Etch and Lenny? How to...

Russ Allbery rra at debian.org
Tue Oct 6 02:52:12 CEST 2009

Michael Goetze <mgoetze at mgoetze.net> writes:

>> I'm also interested in a Etch+Lenny fai installer on the same server,
>> and I didn't understand how can it works : I've a FAI system installed
>> for Etch (3.2 version), and would like to be able to install either a
>> Etch, either a Lenny system on a new computer. I don't understand how
>> do you build your base.tar.gz (or .tgz), as I don't have anyone in my
>> current FAI installation : is it the output of a debootstrap call ? how
>> is it used in NFS installer as I currently have ? or perhaps I have to
>> upgrade to a newer FAI version ?

> make-fai-nfsroot puts an appropriate file under $NFSROOT/var/tmp/base.tgz

But to add a bit more to that, in case you don't want to run
make-fai-nfsroot for one of the distributions you nonetheless want to
build, yes, it's the output of debootstrap.  The base tarball doesn't need
to have anything special installed in it; only the NFS root has special
package requirements.  So you can just run debootstrap for your desired
distribution and then tar up the results and use it as the base.tar.gz for
FAI.

--
Russ Allbery (rra at debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>