Karmic koala and fai-cd.

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Mon Nov 30 18:33:38 CET 2009

Hi,

has someone also test this?

I have install the newest fai (3.3.2) from:
deb http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download lenny koeln
add the key gpg -a --recv-keys AB9B66FD; gpg -a --export AB9B66FD |
apt-key add -

I have copy my config space and called make-nfs-root, fai-mirror and
fai-cd and my debian etch stick was ready. And install a debian
system. :-) Fai-usb-stick boots fine.

Than I try to modify config files and /srv/fai/config to install a
Karmic from the stick which run Karmic Koala.

I have take some config ideas from:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/fai/people/shermann/fai-3.3.2ubuntu1/conf/#_people_shermann_fai-3.3.2ubuntu1_conf_

Some problems occur:
- On the usb stick grub does not boot. "GRUB" was the last message.
  May be a problem with grub_pc?
- The kernel parameter "hostname=demohost" does not change the
  hostname on the install client. But I can see it in /proc/cmdline

Now I am not sure is this the right and easy way?

Should I better use:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/fai/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
or
experimental fai

Fai-cd image boot and install a client in a virtuell machine and also
a real cd works on an a real client.

thanks Andreas