Adding new NIC driver to faiinstall kernel

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Tue Nov 24 14:30:30 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 10:35:26 Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > the systems afterwards are running Greg's 2.6.27.y kernel. Our latest
>     > systems feature an Intel ...75L NIC which was only introduced into
>     > 2.6.28. We managed
>     >
>     >  Any idea?
>
> Use the grml kernel with FAI.
> http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Grml_Kernel

Thanks Thomas, you hit the nail on the head.

I did it slightly differently (without redoing the NFS root):

(1) copy grml kernel and aufs modules package to nfsroot
(2) bind mount /proc into nfsroot
(3) chroot into nfsroot
(4) install grml kernel image and aufs modules
(5) generate initrd in there
(6) copy the vmlinux and initrd to tftp/fai area

in principle that's all.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Cheers

Carsten