Installation problems with NFS mount on sun Fire X2100 with suspicious kernel behavior

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Thu Nov 19 21:19:21 CET 2009

hiya

> label kernel-2.6.31local-reconfigured-squash
> kernel vmlinuz-2.6.31local-squashfs
> append initrd=initrd.img-2.6.31local ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs
> nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot boot=live  FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,reboot
> FAI_ACTION=install console=tty1 console=ttyS1

Could you try removing  "console=tty1 console=ttyS1" from the append line?
Or using different values? I don't know how you set up your SUN servers.
It's possible that everything's working fine. The console may be somewhere
unexpected, waiting for input.

I run into this when installing some Servers under Citrix XenServer.
Depending on the kernel I had to move the console to a different device.
The first clue was, that the system was accessible via ssh, but in the
console window it appeared to hang. (No more output)

tschüß
thomas

P.S.: I'd suggest to explicitly add the nfs-server's ip address to
nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot . Shouldn't change anything, except that it's
more obvious that this parameter is an nfs share.