fai3.3 + karmic

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Tue Nov 10 09:23:40 CET 2009

Good Morning,

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:06:38 +0100
Bent Meyer <askldj-fai at ko-sys.com> wrote:

> Henning Sprang schrieb:
> > On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Bent Meyer <askldj-fai at ko-sys.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I have upgrade from fai-3.2.20 to fai-3.3 and from Ubuntu Jaunty to
> >> Karmic. It does work well,
> >>

> > Interesting.
> > So, you're installing plain FAI from teh Uni Käln apt repository or
> > from where?
>
> Yes, dpkg-buildpackage'd on Ubuntu server 9.10, formerly 9.04. On 9.04
> it mostly worked as a charme. I just had to pull live-initramfs from
> Debian (it is now provided by Karmic) and some messing with udevadm.

Would you like to add some instructions about your work on the FAI
wiki...
We removed FAI from Karmic, because of the state of the package, and we
would like to re-add it in Lucid (the next LTS of Ubuntu)...

When you had it running on Ubuntu karmic, please explain how you did it
(especially the tricky parts, as you said)

> >> My guess is, that fai doesn't work well with upstart's way to
> >> start tty tasks?
> >>

> > Might be, most developers don't use Ubuntu but only Debian on
> > servers and therefore any difference between Debian(Lenny, that is)
> > and UBuntu is very likely to not be supported/FAI not being aware
> > of it.
>
> I like the idea, that both server and client run the same platform.
>
> I need to work out a bit more. I just discovered that root's password
> is not set to its standard value and sshd is not running. That makes
> it hard to examine the result of installation. :-)

Depending on what meta package you installed?

e.g. openssh-server is not added by default, only on the server part,
when you install ubuntu manually. So you need to add this package
explicitly to your install packages.
The "root" is totally disabled on Ubuntu by default, use sudo instead
(the standard ubuntu way). If you need to reconfigure it, you can do
that via debconf, but TBH I don't give that advise.

When you have the time (I know, nobody has time, including me), you
could help us to get FAI back into Ubuntu, and make it rock hard :)

Regards,
\sh
--
| Stephan '\sh' Hermann    | OSS Dev / SysAdmin         |
| JID: sh at linux-server.org | http://www.sourcecode.de/  |