FAI 3.3 released

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Fri Nov 6 09:29:08 CET 2009

Hi Thomas,

>     > BTW: Is it possible to pre-install a linux system and adding
>     >      it later to the FAI for updating and maintaining it?
> It's possible, but I myself will always install my machines using
> FAI. Then you have all information about how to rebuild your machine
> in the config space, and everything can be done fully automatically.

in principal you are right...

But in this special case it was a special server, with two raids,
LVM, Meta Devices and so on. So to adjust FAI for this one server
was too much headache (for me). I did not had the time to figure
out how to do this, especially the network boot was no option here.

It worked perfect (after the headache of installing a basic debian),
FAI fixed then all this small adjustments which happened over the
last months with all other FAI clients.

Besides cfengine the fcopy with a postinst file is a really great tool!

Best regards

Dirk