Starting a FAI installation using kexec - technical thread

Ralf Utermann ralf.utermann at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Thu May 28 16:18:05 CEST 2009

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
[...]
> Where would I have to change them and what command will re-built my
> initrd image afterwards with the changed parameters? I think I don't
> want to entirely rebuild the fai-nfsroot, do I?

Hi Torsten,

at least I want to have the infrastructure to automatically have the
next make-fs-nfsroot run build a correct initrd. We need some changes
to the default initrd in order to deal with multiple network interfaces.
So that's my setup:

- have a hook /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/patch-initrd   [I think you have to
  uncomment in make-fai-nfsroot.conf, the nfsroot-hooks is not used
  otherwise :( ]
- add the 'patch' package to /etc/fai/NFSROOT
- patch-initrd copies patch files to the NFSROOT and also a hook script
  for the initramfs-tools, and then rebuilds the initrd:
  cp /usr/local/etc/*patch $NFSROOT/usr/local/etc
  cp /usr/local/etc/initramfs-tools_hook_network $NFSROOT/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/network
  $ROOTCMD update-initramfs -k all -t -u
  cp -pv $NFSROOT/boot/vmlinu?-* $NFSROOT/boot/initrd.img-* $TFTPROOT
- the hook script  'network' for the initramfs-tools does the actual work of
  patching:
#!/bin/sh
PREREQ="udev"

prereqs()
{
        echo "$PREREQ"
}

case $1 in
prereqs)
        prereqs
        exit 0
        ;;
esac

. /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hook-functions

for f in live functions; do
   if [ -f ${DESTDIR}/scripts/$f ]; then
    patch ${DESTDIR}/scripts/$f /usr/local/etc/${f}.patch
   fi
done

- add the patch utili

Bye, Ralf