Starting a FAI installation using kexec - technical thread

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Thu May 28 15:38:45 CEST 2009

Hi!

Quick update on this subject:

I decided to spend the money and have a technician in the DC connect an
IP based KVM remote console temporarily, so if the book process hangs, I
can see now *why* it hangs.

In contrast to what has been said here before, there seems to be a
difference between the stock Debian initrd from the kernel package and
the FAI initrd. (I am just talking about the initrd, not about the
kernel as such.)

1. Trying this with the stock Debian initrd:

Begin: Mounting root filesystem ... /init: .: line 171: can't open
/scripts/live

2. Using the FAI initrd copied from the nfsroot instead:

Begin: Running /scripts/live-premount ... done.
IP-Config: eth0 hardware address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx mtu 1500 DHCP RARP

So this is trying to do DHCP despite a ip= kernel command line with a
static config.

Interesting enough, nothing ever comes after this DHCP line. No timeout,
no error message, nohting. But AFAIK there is no DHCP available in the
data center, so trying to configure the network interface via DHCP is
pretty pointless here.

So I might want to make some experiments with modifying the scripts
inside the initrd.

The question may be OT on this list, but has the ip=... kernel parameter
any meaning when using an initrd?

Regards,
Torsten