Starting a FAI installation using kexec

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Wed May 27 17:07:29 CEST 2009

Hi all!

Did anyone ever try to use kexec to start a FAI installation?

My question is related to:

http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Using_FAI_to_install_a_root_Server

In other words:

We get servers which have some random Linux image on them. We don't have
physical access to those servers and we cannot modify and DHCP settings.
So no PXE based install, no USB stick install, etc.

In the past we have been using the method as described on the Wiki page;
basically made the boot loader on the installed server boot the
back-than FAI specific install kernel which then mounted the NFS root
over the Internet and took it from there.

Now in the newer FAI versions there are no special install kernels any
more. We took a look at what kernel parameters will be used in a PXE
setup and tried to use the very same parameters with kexec; just it does
not work for whatever reason. It's hard to tell what exactly goes wrong
as the result of the kexec call is basically that the server is no
longer reachable, does not try to mount the NFS root (we watch the NFS
server) and also isn't pingable. Though I am not sure if a kernel level
static IP config (using the ip=... kernel parameter) would make the box
reply to a ping at all.

Currently, our kexec command looks like this:

kexec \
         -l /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 \
         --append="boot=live
ip=xx.xx.xx.xx:yy.yy.yy.yy:zz.zz.zz.zz:255.255.255.0:ourhostname:eth0:off
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=aa.aa.aa.aa:/srv/fai/nfsroot
FAI_FLAGS=sshd,createvt -m /tmp/fai_floppy_dir" \
         --initrd="/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686"

Any thoughts or pointers?

Some docs about mounting the root FS via NFS state that you need to have
NFS support compiled statically into the kernel, but I understand this
is no longer valid, is it?

Regards,
Torsten