setup-storage: error

Alexander Bugl alexander.bugl at zmaw.de
Thu May 14 16:13:05 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I am new to setup-storge, and on my second test machine I ran into an error:
                   Fully Automatic Installation  -  FAI

               FAI 3.2.20, 04 May 2009  Copyright (c) 1999-2009
               Thomas Lange  <lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de>

++ debug=1
Calling task_action
FAI_ACTION: install
Performing FAI installation. All data may be overwritten!

Calling task_install
Calling task_partition
Partitioning local harddisks using setup-storage
Starting setup-storage 1.0.5
disklist was:
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/SDA_VAR_SRV
Input was:
# generic disk configuration for one disk

# example of new config file for setup-storage

disk_config sda disklabel:msdos

primary  /               12G     ext3   rw,errors=remount-ro
primary  swap            4G      swap   rw
logical  /tmp            2G      ext3   rw         createopts="-m 1"
logical  /var            50G-    ext3   rw         createopts="-m 5"
logical  /srv            0-      ext3   rw,nosuid  createopts="-m 0"
tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
    Finding all volume groups
(CMD) mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions 1> /tmp/aaLkZ6M0w9
2> /tmp/QAfOE1bFA4
Executing: mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 628.
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 628.
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 632.
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 632.
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 434.
INTERNAL ERROR in setup-storage:
convert_unit B
Please report this error to the Debian Bug Tracking System.
Current disk layout
$VAR1 = {};
Current LVM layout
$VAR1 = {};
Current RAID layout
$VAR1 = {};
Error in task partition. Traceback: task_error task_partition task
task_install task task_action task main
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.

The machine is a Sun x4240 with currently 15 HDDs, the first two are
configured as RAID 1 Volume using the HW RAID Controller built into the
x4240.

Any idea, what is going wrong? Any hint would be helpful ...

Thanks, with regards, Alex

--
Alexander Bugl,  Central IT Services, ZMAW
Max  Planck  Institute   for   Meteorology