Thank you and good bye.

Per Foreby perf at ddg.lth.se
Thu May 7 22:47:42 CEST 2009

Henning Sprang wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Debian-based FAI cannot build Ubuntu intrepid or jaunty systems; the
>> boot from the NFS root fails.  That's due to the initramfs-tools and
>> live-initramfs problems.
>
> But that happens only when you try to install from an Ubuntu NFSRoot -
> which you don't need to.
>
> You can extract about any base image you want, from a Debian NFSroot,
> even Redhat and SuSE, and then call their package managers, etc. from
> the NFSroot into /target.
>
> That way, the initrd from Ubuntu is not used at install time.
> Or do I get the problem wrong?

We are planning to upgrade(?) from etch to jaunty this summer in our
computer labs due to demands for newer software versions. But I don't
want to lose fai in the process, and that includes softupdate.

Can I use this method on a lenny server with the stock fai package, or
do I need a newer version from the fai repository?

What about softupdate after such an installation? Is it still broken in
Ubuntu? If so, would it be possible to use some debian version of
fai-client?

I haven't seen any automatic installation for Ubuntu that comes close to
fai, so if I cannot use fai, I'll probably go with lenny instead and
take the beating from the users.

/Per