option bootable in setup-storage

Martin Thomas marthom at ymail.com
Wed May 6 11:34:19 CEST 2009

Hello list,

there might be a small discrepancy between setup-storage and its man page:

Without explicitly setting the option bootable:1 in our disk_config partition files, the boot flag is not set in the MBR, which causes some of our machines not to boot, while the setup-storage man page says (at least to my interpretation), that / is set as the default boot partition.

To give more information, the following disk_config file does lead to non-booting machines in some cases:

# BEGIN
disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos

primary  /            2500       ext3   rw,errors=remount-ro
logical  swap         1000-2000  swap   rw
logical  /var         1500-2000  ext3   rw         	createopts="-m 5" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical  /tmp         500-1500   ext3   rw         	createopts="-m 0" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical  /usr         10G-20G    ext3   rw
logical  /home        10G-100%   ext3   rw,nosuid	createopts="-m 1"
tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
# END

So, what's wrong here, the manual or my understanding of it?

Martin