divert update-initramfs, a Ubuntu bug only?

Lothar Brendel lothar.brendel at uni-due.de
Thu Mar 5 20:06:04 CET 2009

Henning Sprang wrote:
> Lothar Brendel wrote:
>
>> Now, AFAICS the 2.6.26-package (default in Lenny-FAI) uses
>> ``mkinitramfs-kpkg'' to create its initrd for the first time while the
>> 2.6.28-package uses ``update-initramfs'' for that purpose. The latter
>> being deactivated during package installation in make-fai-nfsroot, the
>> kernel 2.6.28 stays unknown to update-initramfs (i.e. does not appear in
>> /var/lib/initramfs-tools) and hence is ignored in the ``update-initramfs
>> -k all'' later on in make-fai-nfsroot. Hence I must use the -U option
>> w/o being on Ubuntu.
>>

> Surely, when -U helps you to get something done you need, it is the
> right thing for you even though not being on Ubuntu ;)
>
> FAI ist usually made to build the nfsroot for the current default kernel
> of the distribution it is installed on.

That makes perfect sense. But then I got PCs equipped with Intel
82567LM-3 NICs :-|

> But do I get it right, your setup finally works, only that you didn#t
> expect it to require the use of -U because it's description uses the
> word "Ubuntu"?

Sort of, yes. I expected it to be a bug in Ubuntu (didn't check the
kernel post-installs there), but the usage of update-initramfs in modern
kernels cannot actually be called a bug; and maybe Ubuntu just does that
(earlier than Debian, as usual).

> Then, we might change the manpage and everything is fine?

I think so, a remark about using -U in case of missing initrds should be
sufficient.

Thanx a lot
          Lothar