netboot rescue disk with FAI

Jean Spirat jeanspirat at squirk.org
Tue Mar 3 16:05:40 CET 2009

> Most live cd's come with their own config and system for netbooting.
> I don't see a benefit of doing this with FAI.
> These systems most often have much more features than the FAI nfsroot
> when you use it with sysinfo instead of install.

the goal here is to use the existing network infrastructure for this
added functionality. parted, chkfs and such are allready not so bad for
disaster recovery.

> But how to you know _what_ to mount?
> Assduming you have quite a bunch of different systems and disk
> configurations, it's pretty hard to know for all of them what to mount.
>
> In case of emergency, it should be enough to boot a system, and let the
> person working on the disaster recovery/debugging decide what to mount.
>
> Again, this is easier with for example the grml live cd, which at least
> prepares some mountpoints for all disks/partitions it has found on the
> system.

FAI with sysinfo seems to know it so i will try to use the system here
and see if it can work for me.

thanks for the pointer i will see if i can use this in netboot for me if
not FAI will be quite good by itself :)

>> One important feature would be to have a root password setup
>> that is different on each "netboot" etc... :)  Any ideas ?
>>

> Sorry, I don't understand anymore what you are trying to achieve here.

i want to be able to let each department to launch netboot rescue
session of their servers and if they all have a standard password in
netboot then anyone with ssh acces could connect to the live system so i
want a new pass at each boot where my script know to who send the
temporary netboot password. My hook should be able to do that i just
have to be sure i do it before sshd start :)

> In case of disaster, I'd want fast and easy access to a system, not
> fiddle around with some magic random password.
>
> Sure, that way anybody who can bring a system into this mode of
> netbbot/rescue system, has full access to the system, but that is the
> same with access to hardware...

the trick is that we are 230km away from the machines so i need to have
everything done via ssh. As i want to delegate to department this i need
to make sure only the department that is in charge of this particular
server to be able to acces the live temporary system. So to be short i
want to be sure that the one rescue booting the server is the one that
can connect to it :)

regards,
JEan.