divert update-initramfs, a Ubuntu bug only?

Lothar Brendel lothar.brendel at uni-due.de
Mon Mar 2 10:42:13 CET 2009

Hi folks,

can someone shed some light on the story about the bug nature of the -U
option of make-fai-nfsroot?

I'm obliged to use kernel 2.6.28 and happy to have
linux-image-2.6.28-1-686_2.6.28-1_i386.deb ready for my Debian cluster
(ok, I had to add aufs, but that's another story).

Now, AFAICS the 2.6.26-package (default in Lenny-FAI) uses
``mkinitramfs-kpkg'' to create its initrd for the first time while the
2.6.28-package uses ``update-initramfs'' for that purpose. The latter
being deactivated during package installation in make-fai-nfsroot, the
kernel 2.6.28 stays unknown to update-initramfs (i.e. does not appear in
/var/lib/initramfs-tools) and hence is ignored in the ``update-initramfs
-k all'' later on in make-fai-nfsroot. Hence I must use the -U option
w/o being on Ubuntu.

Any comments?

Asks
       Lothar