fai for another debian distribution

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Jun 25 20:35:46 CEST 2009

> hello all,
>
> I need to use fai to install an operating system other than default
> distribution which comes with default fai-setup.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "an operating system other than
default distribution"? Are you talking about installing, e.g., sid or squeeze
instead of lenny, or RedHat, Fedora or whatever instead of Debian, or something
entirely different?

> for this reason i ran the fai set-up with the address of my repository.
> and it worked fine.
> however, when i try to boot the client through fai. the client machine is
> responding with an error as following.
> busybox v1.10.2 (debian 1:1.10.2-1) built in shell (sh)
> enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
> /bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
> (initramfs)

No, the error must be before that. busybox is just the shell that is started
_because of that error_.

> i did run that command as # showmount -e faiserver
> and it shows that it is parsing both configuration space and nfsroot.
> but the process hangs up.
> someone must have done this before. please guide me how to go about things.
> i appreciate your suggestion and help.
> thank you.

Best,