Enabling PXE from add-on cards

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Fri Jun 12 13:42:45 CEST 2009

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > * Apart from this, has anyone some link to a guideline for Intel based
>     > NICs how to ensure that the cards are PXE capable as well as how to make
>     > them recognized by the systems BIOS?
> IMO all newer card should have PXE. With intel cards you can type
> ctrl-s to enter the "bios" of the nic, where you can enable the PXE
> feature. Some motherboard BIOSes do not show the netbooting option
> (often called MBA UNDI), unless you have enabled the BOOT ROM feature
> for the onboard network card. I do not know if this also applies for
> add-on nics.

I wish that were the case. I don't see any output of this card, nor does
blindly typing CTRL-s get me into the card. The BIOS known there is a
PCIe Ethernet Adapter (shows my the details with the assigned IRQ), but
it does not seem to trigger the card's firmware - I've tried various
BIOS options (e.g. int 19h...), but so far to no avail.

*sigh*

Thanks anyway!

Cheers

Carsten

PS: Thomas, will you stop over here again on your way to Linuxtag 2009?