FAI & Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Richard Grant rfg3 at mcs.le.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 14:20:23 CEST 2009

The specific trouble we had was that once the jaunty client was
installed you couldn't actually launch a terminal on it - and you
couldn't login to a remote terminal either. It turned out that this was
because the order of the jobs in rcS.d seemed to be wrong. I can't
remember the exact details, but the bottom line is that it was causing
it to fail to load the terminals into the mtab. There were two scripts
that tried to do this, and one (that ran first) seemed to have a
slightly odd syntax. Changing the order these two scripts ran in fixed
the problem.

This was actually the only problem we found, but if it was doing
something like this then we weren't convinced it wouldn't be doing other
things that we would only discover later on. Using a jaunty base.tgz
resolved this issue (and hopefully any others that we hadn't discovered...)

Richard