FAI - Debian Lenny and Hardware with Multiple Ethernets

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Thu Jun 4 09:43:53 CEST 2009

Hi Carsten,

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:14:30 +0200
Carsten Aulbert <carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > Debian Lenny has a problem when booting via PXE with hardware
> > which have multiple ethernet devices.
> >
> > E.g. a HP DL365 with 4 NICS, 2 On Board Broadcoms and a Dual NIC
> > Intel Addon Card.
> >

> Yes, as was discussed on this list some month ago already.
> >
> > And the bugger line is "ipconfig -d ${DEVICE} | tee /netboot.config"
> >

> yes, right now we are using this patch (nicked and modified from the
> initramfs people):
> [...]

Yes that's what I used to do, too. A bit different, but it does
actually the same.

> > In later versions of initramfs this functionality is removed
> > completly (the live* scripts are not existing anymore). The new
> > functionality (/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/functions -> func:
> > configure_networking) works as documented, so replacing the, above
> > mentiond, line in the "live" script with the "case" switch from the
> > "configure_networking" func (adding "| tee /netboot.config" ) from
> > later versions of initramfs gives the wished result.
> > You can set now in the pxelinux.cfg/<IP/GGUID> files now the kernel
> > append line to something like this: ip=:::::<your boot eth device
> > with the right enumeration>:dhcp and the kernel will do the
> > ipconfiguration without any problems after kernel boot.
> >
> with the patch it seems that ip=dhpc is sufficient

Didn't check..because of this "ipconfig has no timeout" "feature" I
wasn't sure if it works...

> > If there is a possibilty to ship a fixed initramfs for lenny inside
> > FAIs .deb repository I'm happy to fix this issue especially for FAI
> > on lenny.
>
> I would love to see that!
> >
> > What should we do?
>
> I don't know, I guess Thomas has to comment on this.

Yepp...a decision is needed :)

Regards,

\sh
--
| Stephan '\sh' Hermann    | OSS Dev / SysAdmin         |
| JID: sh at linux-server.org | http://www.sourcecode.de/  |