Problem with re-installing old server (setup-storage GPT related)

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sun Jul 19 17:11:55 CEST 2009

Hi Steffen,

Sorry for responding that late.

[...]

> (parted) unit B print free
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 6981504466943B
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
>
> Number  Start   End             Size            File system  Name     Flags
>  1      17408B  6981504450047B  6981504432640B  xfs          primary
>
> I defined the partition in disk_config:
>
> disk_config sdb disklabel:gpt preserve_always:1
> primary /storage               1-      xfs     rw
>
> When running the partition task, I get an error:
>
> Calling task_partition
> Partitioning local harddisks using setup-storage
> Starting setup-storage 1.0.3
> Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/HEXE_STORAGE
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit B print free
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit TiB print
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit B print free
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sdb unit chs print free
> Executing: vgdisplay --units m -s
> Executing: mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions
> Disk /dev/sdb is too small - at least 6981504467456 bytes are required
>
> - apparently some rounding-up is happening somewhere?

[...]

I think I got the size of the secondary GPT wrong, which consumes some space at
the end of the disk. Unlike the primary GPT, it takes only 33 sectors, but I had
reserved 34 sectors for the secondary as well. Unless there is some off-by-1
error, it should be fixed as of 3.2.21+experimental12. Could you try that one?

Thanks a lot,