Changing the BIOS boot order in linux

Sridhar Kumar Kotturu sridhar.kotturu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 14:59:34 CEST 2009

Hello,
I'm working on a project to do automatic Cent OS installation.
I've done all the things successfully except manual intervention in BIOS
boot order change.

I'm using PXE boot server, DHCP, tftp, syslinux, kickstart configuration for
the OS installation.

It seems in the Linux, it is NOT possible to change BIOS boot order in
running LINUX box.

How 'linux-fai' is doing this boot order change?

I've read the FAI guide, section 7.10 "Changing the boot device", but did
NOT get the complete picture.

Any pointers/suggestions etc on "how to boot from local hard disk after the
OS installation is done" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Sridhar Kotturu.