fai on cluster with debian x86_64

Markus Uhlmann markus.uhlmann at ifh.uka.de
Fri Jan 23 16:54:57 CET 2009

hi,

we are currently setting up a cluster using fai.
we finally got to the state where we go through the installation and
boot into a working system.

the problem then is that *sometimes* the superuser on the newly
installed client has no password; therefore it is impossible to "ssh"
into the system, although the network is up after reboot (e.g. "ping"
from outside sees the client).

the root password is set as explained in the manual, i.e. we have:

# root password for the new installed linux system; md5 and crypt are possible
# pw is "fai"
ROOTPW='itlrBHLS/AD36'

in file "/srv/fai/config/class/TAIFUN.var"
(where "TAIFUN" is one of the active classes)

strange thing: even when it *does* work, the variable "ROOTPW" does
not show up in the installation log files (i.e. "variables.log").
[this might be a security feature?]

any hints will be welcome.

thanks,

MU