FAI and debian live

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Mon Jan 19 10:31:03 CET 2009

    >   I wanted to know how is FAI using debian live. It seems to use the
    > debian live-initramfs system but i wanted to know if you use anything
    > else from the debian live project and how you interact with it :) Any
    > little information you could provide ?
FAI only needs the live-initramfs package which provides the functions
to boot from network, mounts the root file system via NFS and adds
aufs (another unionfs) on top of it. Using aufs we have write access to all
files inside the nfsroot which was mounted read-only.
Other feature of live-initramfs (like setup the locale, enable a user
account,...) are not needed by FAI.

live-initramfs also is usefull for the fai-cd, were it also helps
during the boot process.

There are no plans to use more features of debian live. I heared that
live-initramfs will be split into more packages in the future, so we
may need less parts from it.