How do you automate fai installations?

Adrian Gibanel Lopez agibanel at alumnes.udl.cat
Thu Jan 8 17:58:34 CET 2009

How do you automate fai installations? :)
It seems like a loop or a joke: automate an automatic installation ;).

I mean what's the normal use of FAI in a lab? You run something like:

fai-setup -v

and then

fai-chboot -IFv specialhosts*

You reboot manually? the computers and let them install.
Three hours later you come back to the lab where it says in every computer:

Press ENTER to reboot

You then run:

fai-chboot -ov specialhosts*

You press enter in each of the computers as fast as you can and finally
you overview that one or two computers boot as expected.

This is what it happens to me after reading the FAI guide and testing it
in some virtual machine's install clients.

Is it the way to go? Am I missing something?

Do you perhaps run: fai-chboot -IFv specialhosts*, (re)boot all the
computers, and then (after all the kernels have been loaded) run:
fai-chboot -ov specialhosts* but SOMETHING THAT I DO NOT KNOW makes the
install clients reboot automatically?

Thank you.

--
Firma Automática 1: